Geotechnical investigations are performed to obtain information on the physical properties of soil and rock around a site, often prior to designing earthworks and structures. At Tectonic this is often complementary with our geo-environmental capabilities.
Through our extensive prior experience of subsurface conditions and ground behaviour throughout our operational extents; we utilise our knowledge of likely geotechnical conditions and constraints, to tailor the most effective investigation methodology, often developed from the following:
- Desk study and site appraisal as part of investigation scoping, or in preliminary project stages (e.g. optioneering, due diligence)
- Geological and geomorphological mapping – ground based inspection, drone assisted interpretation.
- Cone Penetrometer Testing
- Borehole Drilling – solid flight augering, rotary drilling, standard and wireline coring.
- In situ strength testing
- Machine test pitting
- Difficult / tight access
- Seismic interpretation
- Laboratory testing
Our boutique size and relationships of up to 25 years with local contractors allows us to achieve efficient mobilisations, and provide an agile service around specific project needs.
Underpinning our practice are rigorous quality, environmental and safety processes; with safety always at the heart of our fieldwork. Investigations are carried out in the presence of a degree qualified, and experienced geotechnical engineer or engineering geologist; ensuring the reliability of field data, and the quality of advice delivered. Site investigations and laboratory testing are undertaken in accordance with AS1726 “Geotechnical site investigations” and AS1289 “Methods of testing soils for engineering purposes”.
The results of our investigations are documented in a concise and technically orientated report. We are experienced in working as a specialist geotechnical consultant, or collaboratively as part of wider project team including planners, structural and civil engineers. We aim to assist our clients in reducing uncertainty in ground conditions, adding value, saving costs and contributing to the development of practical solutions.
Our reports may include recommendations relating to:
Earthworks matters such as site preparation, trafficability, batter slopes, temporary shoring, drainage, fill specifications, suitability of excavated material for re-use.
- Soil reactivity and site classification in accordance with AS2870.
- Groundwater and drainage requirements.
- Preliminary modelling and selection of design parameters for footing systems such as for raft slabs and piles, including recommendations for management of problem soils, allowable bearing capacities and anticipated settlements.
- Design parameters for retaining walls and pavements.
Contact us for further information.